sabato 10 maggio 2008

Midnight in Beirut

Its midnight. Friday night. Beirut is deserted. East, west, left, right... It's deserted. Gemmayze is empty. Brummana is full. Reminds me of Israel's war in 2006. A light of hope flickers red - Torino's open. The red is soothing - you'll never hear about soothing red in books. I step in to a full house. The usual bartenders, aging but forever young, man the bar. A rosee please - i'm not sure why i drink rosee, perhaps because I'm not much of a drinker. Lots of 'ajehnib' (foreigners) speaking in multitudes of tongues, mostly journalists drinking away their existential ponderings. I look around, a man catches my eye, he tips his hat to me - a picture on an LP. An old friend walks in. He doesn't remember me. In 2006 we exchanged anecdotes of body counts and Israeli brutality - he's a cameraman. Tonight he's cheery, making money covering a different kind of war, perhaps by the look on his face a peaceful war - if there ever were such a thing. Fighting has all but died down in the capital (Beirut). He kisses the blonde next to me - hi keefik ca va? Torino closes its wooden doors. It's going to be a long night.

Nessun commento: