venerdì 9 maggio 2008

In diretta da Beirut (ore 17.23 Lebanon local time)

- Reporting from Corniche Beirut: The second you cross the green line - just as I made my way past the St. Georges Hotel - you're greeted with heavily armed men with automatic weapons and vests in groups, some on scooters. One large group was gathered near the entrance of La Plage in front of the Intercontinental Vendome. They don't bother you - they don't even stop to ask questions - you can ask them for directions if you'd like - they're polite i think ;)
After a brief stop at McDonald's, I made my way to a shop to buy some chips. M&Ms, Maltesers, Lay's Salted Chips, and a Sohat = 3250 LL (2 USD). As I was paying, a scooter zooms up to the store carrying two armed men. I am not sure if I am meant to feel fear / discomfort. They came in to buy some mouneh. I paid, put my stuff in a bag, and walked out nonchalantly. Got into my car and drove off into the smoke billowing from burning tires under the Marina Tower.

Nessun commento: